Ensures the health of the happiest member of the family, and knows these products that can put your life at risk.
Dangers for Your Dog in Your Own Home
At home there are many dangerous products for your dog that it is better to have them away and safe, so that our pet does not reach them and we prevent accidents. To ensure health and well-being, you only need to know these 10 usual threats and take the necessary steps to avoid them.
4 Dangerous food for the dog
- Chocolate: It is known by all that chocolate should not be given to dogs since it has theobromine, an alkaloid that stimulates the central nervous system and generates a profound impact on the cardiovascular health of the animal. If you suspect that you have eaten chocolate, watch for hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, urinary incontinence, elevated heart rate (touches the part of your armpit, you can feel it there), panting, spasms and tremors. As a precaution, be sure to keep all foods that have this ingredient out of reach, and to teach children not to invite them this treat they will surely want to eat.
“Many of the foods that are completely harmless to us, and even to other pets at home, are actually poisonous to our dogs.”
- Fruits with bone: Some fruits are delicious and safe for dogs, but have large bones or stones that can be embedded in your digestive system, and also block the airways. These include avocados and the like. The same applies to vegetables with hard centers, such as corn cob (corn).
- Seeds: Not only large ones are dangerous for your dog, but also small ones as they can clog the airways and contain compounds that are toxic to animals. They include the seeds of citrus, peaches, apricots (apricots) and others.
- Plants: Although they are not “edible” by itself, we include them in this list because it is usual for our dogs to bite and eat the plants we have in the garden, either playing or trying to eat pastito for an upset stomach . Some are harmless, while others are toxic and affect your central nervous system. This list includes azaleas, autumn crocus, oleander, belladonna, hemlock, ricin, lilies of the valleys and many more. Best move away your pet from the pots!
Other dangerous products for your dog
It’s not just the food we have at home that can endanger your pet. These are other precautions that you should also note:
- Medications: Some drugs can be shared between humans and dogs, but not most. For example, paracetamol (the painkiller present in almost any home, and so mild to humans), damages your liver and affects your red blood cells. If you notice that there is pain or inflammation in your dog’s body, consult with a veterinarian and never meditate on your own.
- Cleaning products: Especially those of the alkali group, which include chlorine, bleach, bleach and the by-products that contain them (in addition to many batteries). When inhaled or ingested, they burn the animal’s soft and mucosal tissues, irritate the digestive and respiratory tract, and are often fatal in as little as 24 hours. The most common symptoms include irritation and pain, drooling, lack of appetite and lethargy.
- Dangerous products for dogs in the laundry: Detergents, softeners and products for the washing of clothes usually have cationic, harmful and even fatal ingredients for dogs. Symptoms will include drooling, vomiting, lethargy, burns in the mouth and throat, seizures, and coma.
- Mothballs: Mothballs, so efficient at keeping moths away from our clothing, are especially damaging to your dog’s liver, and also impact your central nervous system. If your pet eats them, you will notice seizures and vomiting, among other symptoms. Keep these pellets in high places, contained in tissue bags and very safe.
- Dangerous dog products in the workshop: If you have fuel and car products, make sure they are out of reach, always well closed in their containers. Antifreeze, for example, has ethylene glycol, which impacts the renal system and causes symptoms that include seizures, vomiting and lethargy.
- Inside the home: Dogs love the menthol taste of our toothpastes and mouthwashes. But remove them since they usually have boric acid, which will cause vomiting, convulsions, coma and death.
“To avoid accidents with dangerous products for the dog make sure to keep them out of reach, and in well-closed bottles that can not be spilled.”
To avoid accidents with dangerous products for the dog make sure to keep them out of reach, and in tightly closed bottles that can not be spilled. Also, give a balanced food or dry feed suitable for its weight, size and conditions, so that it is not hungry throughout the day.